The Ecstatic Guitar Theorem
Critical Tone Analysis
1. Chordal Response: fast lively response, well balanced and consistent
𝑑1 =4.6 ( 4.6-n) +1 =1.6 )
2. Individual note decay as well as blended in a chord: excellent sustain in a lengthy swell
approx 12-13 sec as note 13 ~ sec with vibrato
𝑑2 = 4.7 ( 4.7– n) +1 =1.7 )
3. Basic volume and presence: intimate volume,a warm forward sound wave, full decay
𝑑3 = 4.65 ( 4.65– n) +1 = 1.65)
4. Individual note separation and focus: excellent note separation with precise intonation,
𝑑4 = 4.65 ( 4.65 – n) +1 =1.65 )
5. Systematic sustain: a lengthy swell with audible partials
𝑑5 = 4.65 (4.65 – n) +1 =1.65 )
6. Response compliance: responds well across the spectrum, fuller mids and bass, sparkling and shimmery trebles
𝑑6 = 4.65 (4.7– n) +1 =1.7 )
7. Balance and quality of tone: a warm, romantic voice, more fundamental wave in the bass and mids then trebles, well balanced across the spectrum, popping harmonics,
𝑑7 = 4.6 (4.6- n) +1 =1.6 )
8. Even strength and balance of each string: strings are well balanced, more fundamental girth in the mids and lowers, strong treble amplitude, upper and lower partial registers, suave “chatting” character
𝑑8 = 4.65 (4.65– n) +1 = 1.65)
9. Tone projection: a warm, intimate projection capable of bellowing across a room
𝑑9 = 4.65 (4.65 – n) +1 = 1.65)
10. A large dynamic range: an array of dynamics rich in decay
𝑑10 = 4.7 (4.7 – n) +1 =1.7)
11. Tonal bloom: forward even swells with a consistent bloom
𝑑11 =4.75 ( 4.75– n) +1 =1.75 )
Quality Of Tone
Effortless playability with precise intonation, capable of “bellowing” across the room in a warm wave. A responsive tone with precise harmonics, strong treble amplitude, excellent sustain in a lengthy swell. An excellent guitar suited for any level of player which offers the user a lot of control over the playing experience.
∑𝑑 = (𝑑1+𝑑2+𝑑3+𝑑4+𝑑5+𝑑6+𝑑7+𝑑8+𝑑9+𝑑10+𝑑11)=
𝐏= ∑ 𝐅 ∕ T ∑𝐅=∑𝑑⧹𝐀
P = / T
𝐏= 16.65 / 22 ≅ 7.6/10 ≅ 76 %
This guitar was conceived as part of a collection of Michaud Made guitars that would be released to show the world the incredible possibilities of Joel’s work. A Michaud Made guitar has become a global flagship instrument and a new standard of excellence in the community of hand-made guitars due to Joel’s incredible attitude for the craft and his dedication to the pursuit of tone. Joel’s level of craftsmanship and ability to create clean-flowing lines is shocking, even to the master luthiers of today.
This particular guitar was completed while the sun was in the constellation Leo. A guitar born in Leo signifies emotional exuberance, natural showmanship, recognition, and admiration.
This collection debuted with two OM-Rs crafted from Brazil’s “Olympian” tonewoods timed perfectly for the 2016 world games in Rio.
This OM-R features a combination of the ideas and designs invented by other luthiers, including a Laskin-style arm rest, a Manzer wedge, and a Traugott-style floating back brace. All of these design ideas echo the original blueprints but have been tweaked by Joel to create unique Michaud Made instruments. The geometry of the box, bridge, and headstock, and the tuning of the instrument are a direct product of Joel’s voyage upon the endless pursuit of tone.
This guitar is incredibly sexy and powerful in person. There is no “clunkiness” to the form of the lines, illustrating Joel’s incredible talent in the absolute macro scale of the guitar. This guitar has a more masculine presence then it would appear when pieced as part of a collection of guitars: a refined gentleman with an even, sonorous voice.